10 Best Running Shoes for Bunions 2017
Are your bunions ruining your running experience? Are you finding it difficult to run a single mile when, not too long ago, you could complete ten? It’s not an overstatement that bunions, a bone deformity of the joint at the base of the big toe, can prevent you from achieving your goals.
Choosing the right pair of running shoes is already difficult. Finding the ideal shoes when you suffer from bunions might seem like an impossible task.
Before you give up on your passion, know that there is still hope for you. In this guide, you can find all the features you need to pay attention to when looking for the best running shoes for bunions.
Before diving into the actual list of running shoes suited for bunions, let’s have a look at some of the factors you need to keep in mind.
- Material. One of the most important things you need to pay attention to when looking for running shoes for bunions is the material. Most running shoes are made of mesh mixed with plastic. While plastic might not seem like the most breathable material, it adds stability. Look for running shoes without a lot of plastic around the bunion area. Otherwise, the rubbing might enhance the pain and make you feel uncomfortable. Running shoes with soft fabric or mesh design on the upper parts are the best picks.
- Bunion Window. Although a relatively new concept, more and more shoe manufacturers are incorporating this feature into their designs. A bunion window refers to the practice of using a mesh over the area of bunions. That way, the material stretches over the lump, making running less painful.
Top 10 Running Shoes for Bunions Comparison
|1. ASICS Women's GEL-Nimbus 17 Running Shoe||Synthetic/Fabric||$$||4.6|
|2. Brooks Women's Glycerin 13 Running Shoe||Mesh||$$||4.6|
|3. Salomon Women's XR Mission Running Shoe||Synthetic||$||4.5|
|4. Brooks Men's Addiction 12||Mesh||$$$||4.5|
|5. Saucony Women's Guide 9 Running Shoe||Fabric and Synthetic||$||4.4|
|6. New Balance Men's M940V2 Running Shoe||Fabric||$$$||4.4|
|7. Altra Men's The Torin Running Shoe||Synthetic||$$$$||4.3|
|8. Mizuno Women's Wave Rider 19 Running Shoe||Synthetic||$||4.3|
|9. New Balance Women's W1340v2 Optimum Control Running Shoe||Synthetic||$$$$||4.3|
|10. Brooks Women's Ariel 14||Mesh||$$$||4.3|
The wrong pair of shoes can not only create pressure and cause pain, but they can make your condition worse. Follow the tips below to ensure that you are selecting only the best running shoes for bunions.
- Pay Attention to the Height of the Heel. Raised heel can be a big problem if you have bunions. They put the weight of your body onto the front part, causing pain with each step. Not to mention the fact that a raised heel will promote the use of your toes when running. Look for running shoes with flat heels. It can be hard to get used to it at first, especially if you are a seasoned runner, but you can’t ignore the benefits they bring.
- Arch Support and Depth. A lot of people tend to forget about these critical elements when looking for running shoes. You need to ensure that your next pair of sneakers will provide enough arch support, as well as proper depth.
- Wide Fitting. It should go without saying that if you are a runner with bunions, you need to pay close attention to the width of your shoes. By selecting a larger size, you can get the highest possible protection and comfort. If you are a woman, you can simply buy men’s shoes since they usually are half a size bigger than your normal shoes.
- Weight and Comfort. You do not want to feel your shoes at all when running. In fact, you want to feel as if you were barefooted. That can be hard to achieve if you have bunions. Look for shoes that are made of lightweight materials but still have a good amount of cushioning for support and stability.
Top 3 Best Running Shoes for Bunions Reviews
ASICS Women’s GEL-Nimbus 17 is the overall highest rated pair of running shoes for bunions. Their proprietary FluidFit technology uses a combination of stretch meshes that can create a glove-like fit. The FluidRide system not only that reduces the weight of these running shoes, but also provides additional cushioning.
These impressive shoes have a breathable mesh upper and a gait-enhancing impact guidance system. They also have a supportive heel clutching system that can provide even more comfort. The rubber sole makes these shoes suitable for almost any surface.
If you are looking for the best running shoes for bunions that can provide comfort and prevent blisters and injuries, then look no further than ASICS Women’s GEL-Nimbus 17.
If you are neutral to mild over-pronator who deals with bunions, then you will fall in love with these running shoes. Designed for comfort, the Brooks Women’s Glycerin 13 Running Shoe delivers maximum cushioning and support.
What makes these shoes stand apart is their full-length Super DNA midsole. Due to this feature, you can rest assured that you will get increased energy return and stability.
Overall, the Brooks Women’s Glycerin 13 Running Shoes are comfortable, reliable, stable, and a categoric choice for runners with bunions.
Last but not least, we would like to discuss the Salomon Women’s XR Mission shoes. They are suitable for every kind of surface – from roads to trails.
These shoes successfully combine efficiency and durability in order to achieve a superb grip when you need it the most. Among their best features, you’ll find a breathable mesh upper that reduces moisture buildup, a foam footbed that reduces friction, and a rugged contra grip outsole for traction.
They are known to be the most comfortable and supportive shoes on the market, so they are an obvious pick. Another important thing is that they offer great support and stabilize the foot. Even though they are considered to be trail running shoes, you can use them on a regular basis, as well.
Lightweight, comfortable, and reliable, Salomon Women’s XR Mission Running Shoes are certainly worth trying.