10 Best Neutral Running Shoes 2018
There are three kinds of runners in the world: under-pronators, overpronators, and those who pronate normally. If you are a normal pronator, you might think that you are in luck since you don’t need a pair of running shoes with specially designed features.
Not so fast.
Although normal pronators can run in a variety of shoes, there are numerous aspects that can make or break your comfort during running. That’s why specialized neutral running shoes with added support and cushioning are more suitable for you.
This guide will teach you everything you need to know about how to find the best neutral running shoes.
Let’s dive right in!
How Much Do You Pronate?
Before we jump to our main picks for normal pronators, let’s analyze some of the tips you need to keep in mind when looking for neutral running shoes. It’s fairly easy to jump to conclusions and wrongly assume that you are a normal pronator. To avoid any mistakes, check the wear patterns on your shoes to determine how much you pronate.
- Under-Pronators. If you notice significant wear outside of your running shoes, then you are an under-pronator. You need shoes with midsole cushioning for added shock absorption.
- Overpronators. If you notice wear on the inside of the heel, especially around the area near the big toe, then you are an overpronator. You need stability running shoes that can help distribute the impact of running.
- Normal Pronators. If your running shoes show signs of wear in an S-shaped pattern, from the big toe to the exterior of the heel, then you are a normal pronator. You need a pair of running shoes that promote the natural motion of the foot.
Top 10 Neutral Running Shoes Ultimate Chart
|1. Mizuno Men's Wave Inspire 11 Running Shoe||275g||$||4.6|
|2. Adidas Performance Men's Supernova Glide 8 M Running Shoe||312g||$$||4.6|
|3. ASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 22 Running Shoe||275g||$$||4.5|
|4. Brooks Women's Ravenna 6||303g||$||4.5|
|5. Saucony Men's Guide 9 Running Shoe||275g||$||4.5|
|6. Altra Men's Torin 2 Running Shoe||258g||$$||4.5|
|7. New Balance Men's Fresh Foam 1080v6 Running Shoe||294g||$$$$||4.3|
|8. Hoka One One Clifton 2 Womens Running Shoe||218g||$$$||4.3|
|9. Inov-8 Men's F-LITE 235-M||235g||$$||4.1|
|10. ASICS Women's Dynaflyte Running Shoe||264g||$$$||4.1|
Understanding your pronation type can be hard. Finding running shoes that provide optimal support and cushioning can be even harder. Pay attention to these tips to ensure that you will buy the best neutral running shoes.
- Pay Attention to the Features. If you are a beginner, look for a cushioning shoe. That way, you can get more support and help to build muscle strength. If you are an experienced runner who enjoys the feeling of ground impact, you can opt for less cushion and support. As a rule of thumb, buy shoes that mimic the natural foot movement.
- Make Sure the Shoes Are Lightweight. Seasoned marathon runners and champions often talk about the potential benefits of barefoot running. According to them, barefoot running can strengthen the muscles, ligaments, and tendons, and allow the foot to develop a more natural gait. If you consider barefoot running to be a bit too extreme, you can settle for the next best thing: minimalist shoes. Look for lightweight shoes that provide some cushioning but not too much. That way, you can enhance your experience and gain better coordination by activating the smaller muscles in your feet.
- Comfort Comes First: Always keep in mind that even though it’s easier to find shoes for normal pronation, injuries can still occur if you don’t feel comfortable when running. Pay attention to your needs and level of experience before making a decision. If you feel that added cushioning might be better suited for you, then opt for a pair of comfortable neutral shoes. If you want to build muscle strength, look for shoes that are lightweight without compromising on comfort.
Top 3 Best Neutral Running Shoes Reviews
Mizuno Men’s Wave Inspire 11 is the overall highest rated pair of neutral shoes by both seasoned runners and beginners. With a heel that measures approximately 1.75”, this is the best options if you are looking for neutral running shoes that are lightweight and can mimic the natural movement of the foot.
The well-proportioned shaft and platform can absorb the shock and make your running experience far more comfortable. Another plus that these running shoes bring is their 3D upper design that provides stability and a nice shift from landing to take-off.
To conclude, if you are looking for the best neutral running shoes, look no further than Mizuno Men’s Wave Inspire 11.
If you pronate within the normal limits and are looking for neutral running shoes that still offer stability and support, this is one of the best options on the market.
Adidas Performance Men’s Supernova Glide 8 M have a rubber sole and energy-returning properties that promise to keep every step charged with an endless supply of light and fast energy. More than that, the engineered mesh upper provides one of the most important things when it comes to running shoes – maximum breathability. With a continental rubber outsole for excellent grip even in wet and dry conditions, you can rest assured that these running shoes will not let you down.
Flexible and performant, Adidas Performance Men’s Supernova Glide 8 M are ideal if you are looking for more stability and support.
Made from a mix of textile and synthetic materials with a rubber sole and an 10mm heel-to-toe drop, ASICS Men’s GEL-Kayano 22 are ideal for a runner with normal pronation.
One of the things that you will love most about these shoes is that the mid-sole unit doesn’t break that easily, even after repeated uses. The excellent blend of stability and cushioning will help you make the most of your running sessions by ensuring comfort and protection.
All in all, if you are looking for a durable and affordable pair of shoes that can make your jogging even more comfortable, look no further than ASICS Men’s GEL-Kayano 22.